The Taccia table or floor lamp provides beautiful indirect and reflected light to create a soft ambience in any given space.
As is proved by the precious historical material found in the archives of Fondazione Achille Castiglioni, in the Castiglioni brothers’ original 1958 design of the Taccia table lamp, the iconic bowl reflector wasn't made of glass but transparent plastic. This idea was discarded though because the heat emitted by the incandescent light source deformed the plastic material. The prototype was then developed and produced by Flos in 1962,with its famous big blown glass bowl.
Thanks to the use of a cutting-edge LED light source,with very high efficiency and color rendering index, but reduced heat emission, Flos has finally been able to edit a new version of Taccia with a transparent plastic diffuser that is accurately faithful to the original concept.The most advanced injection moulding technologies have helped to achieve a perfect bowl shape, maintaining a uniform surface both inside and out. In addition, the use of laser cutting techniques with unparalleled performance mean that the injection point is now invisible. The transparency and brilliancy of the methacrylate are also guaranteed to last forever thanks to the special properties of the material used,which does not degrade under the effects of UV rays.
The end result of this ‘recovered’ version of Taccia is amazing in terms of its quality and beauty. It will be available alongside the existing Taccia LED, featuring the classic glass bowl. Compared to the previous LED model, this version will offer consumers a more favorable price, in addition to the possibility of dimming the light intensity.
Metal spinning aluminium reflector with gloss white finish inside and white powder-coated outside. Injection molded clear transparent plastic diffuser. Painted matte black or anodized silver extruded aluminium body. Nickel-plated protected with transparent paint, polished steel base. Power cord length 220 cm, with dimmer switch that provide ON-OFF functions and 10-100% light adjustment. Plug-in power supply with interchangeable plugs.
He was born in Milan in 1918.
As early as 1940 he dedicated himself to testing industrial production with brothers Livio (1911-1979) and Pier Giacomo (1913-1968). After graduating in architecture in 1944, he began research into shapes, techniques and new materials, aimed at developing an integral design process.
He was one of the founders of ADI in 1956. In 1969, he was authorized by the Ministry of Education to teach "Artistic Design for Industry" and was a professor at Turin´s Faculty of Architecture until 1980 and then professor of "Industrial Design " in Milan until 1993.
Since 1950 he has worked in the area of testing and research into outfittings and presentations for exhibitions (Triennale di Milano, Montecatini, Agip, Rai). MoMA in New York features 14 of his works. Other works can be found at:Victoria and Albert Museum (London), Kunstgewerbe Museum (Zurich), Staatliches Museum fur Angewandte Kunst (Munich), Museo del Design (Prato), Uneleckoprumyslove Prague Museum, Israel Museum (Jerusalem), The Denver Art Museum, Vitra Design Museum (Weil am Rhein), Angewandte Kunst Museum (Hamburg and Cologne).
He staged a one-man show between 1984 and 1986 organized by the Museum fur Angewandte Kunst (Vienna), then at Akademie der Kunst (Berlin), Triennale di Milano (Milan), Kunstgewerbe Museum (Zurich), Haags Gemeentemuseum (the Hague), Circulo de Bellas Artes (Madrid) and at the Centre Georges Pompidou (Paris).