Part of the ercol Originals range, this classic rocking chair encompasses a double bow seat back, central slat and eight turned spindles, all features which are characteristically ercol. Upward turned armrests extending from the central bow and supported by three spindles provide added comfort. The solid elm oyster shaped seat fixes the legs into place. The rockers create a perfectly balanced smooth movement. Constructed of an elm seat and beech legs, the chair is available in a choice of lacquer finishes which both protect the timber and allow the beauty of the natural grain to show through. Choose from; CL- clear, ST- special light, LT- light, GD-golden dawn, FW-fruitwood, TR- traditional. Alternatively a range of paint finishes are available NA-navy, YE-yellow, MA-mandarin, WT-white, BK-black. Dimensions W 60cm x D 76cm x H 107cm / SH 40cm W 23.5” x D 30” x H 42.25” / SH 15.75”
The ercol Originals are pieces of timeless and classic design that never date or show their age. It is furniture that is as relevant and as functional now as it was when it was created in the 1950s and 1960s. This furniture was designed by ercol’s founder, Lucian Ercolani, who drew for his inspiration on the time proven local design and craft in the Chiltern Hills around where he lived and built his first factory in 1920 in High Wycombe. Some of these pieces have never been out of production since their introduction nearly 60 years ago. Other favourite pieces we have brought back into production - in 2002, ercol began a successful collaboration with the fashion designer Margaret Howell and reissued a selection of archetypal ercol pieces from our back catalogue, based on the classic Windsor chair. Starting with the Butterfly and Stacking Chair, this selection has grown into the Originals collection of today. These pieces are as appropriate to today's living as they were when they were originally issued.
Lucian R. Ercolani
Lucian R Ercolani, or the "Old Man" as he is affectionately know in the company, founded ercol in 1920. Born in Italy in 1888, Lucian's family moved to London in the 1890s. There he went to night school at the Shoreditch Technical Institute where he studied drawing, design and the theory and construction of furniture. In 1907 he made his first piece of furniture - a musical cabinet, inlaid with mother of pearl. Years later the company tracked this down and we still have it to this day.
Between 1910 to 1920, The Old Man worked in the design teams for what would later become Parker Knoll and G-Plan, before founding ercol in 1920. He designed the company's products for many years. The Windsor range remains one of our most popular ranges over half a century after it was first launched in its original guise, whilst a few years ago we reintroduced some of Lucian's classic designs, which now form the ercol Originals.