Reintroduced by Vitra as an elegant dining table, Jean Prouvé's Table Flavigny (1945) derives its aesthetic charm from the contrast between the domestic character of the solid wood top and the strictly functional design of the base.
During the years of the Second World War, the Ateliers Jean Prouvé planned and executed a number of interior design projects for the Solvay chemical company. Table Flavigny, originally conceived as a meeting table, is one of these designs. The first units ended up being used in the Flavigny Sanatorium, which gave the table its name. Typical of Prouvé's work, the base features four tapered legs positioned at a 45° angle on the outermost corners of the table top. This adds stability to the steel frame construction while also providing users with maximum legroom.
Jean Prouvé completed his training as a metal artisan before opening his own workshop in Nancy in 1924. In the following years he created numerous furniture designs, and in 1947 Prouvé established his own factory. Due to disagreements with the majority shareholders, he left the company in 1953. During the ensuing decades, Prouvé served as a consulting engineer on a number of important architectural projects in Paris.
He left his mark on architectural history again in 1971, when he played a major role in selecting the design of Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers for the Centre Pompidou as chairman of the competition jury. Prouvé's work encompasses a wide range of objects, from a letter opener to door and window fittings, from lighting and furniture to façade elements and prefabricated houses, from modular building systems to large exhibition structures – essentially, almost anything that is suited to industrial production methods. In close cooperation with the Prouvé family, Vitra began in 2002 to issue re-editions of designs by this great French constructeur.