Inspired by traditional Shaker tables, Mogensen designed C18 in 1947 as a durable table for everyday use.

Cbm
0.18m3
Height
71cm
Length
180cm
Material
Wood
Structure finish
Oak Lacquered
Width
90cm

Available with additional plates extending the table top by 40 cm at each end. In 1939, FDB hired the 28 year old architect Børge Mogensen as their chief architect for their visionary furniture programme. The vision was to create high quality functional furniture with a reasonable price tag that could make the ideas of simple modernism popular among the people.

Mogensen decided that the furniture should all be based on established cabinet-maker’s principles found in traditional furniture types from around the world, while at the same time being adapted for ease of local production without compromising on quality.

Børge Mogensen then invited his friend Hans J. Wegner to participate in this venture, which came to lay the basic foundation for the development of the concept “Danish Modern” in the 1950’s. A few pieces from the programme became so accomplished that they have been in continuous production ever since their launch in the 1940’s. Fredericia’s special relationship with Børge Mogensen have ensured that these models will always be a part of Fredericia’s ‘The People’s Collection’.

Both Mogensen and Wegner’s furniture for “The People’s Collection” was based on an evolutionary design approach. Wegner’s rocker was inspired by traditional Windsor furniture, whereas Mogensen’s J39 was an evolution of methodology taken from Mediterranean region folk furniture. The C18 table was inspired by the functional style of the American Shaker culture. The durable and sturdy, yet refined quality of “The People’s Collection” makes the furniture suitable for both private and public use. And to this day, both new and vintage versions of the furniture can be seen in public institutions, universities, cafés, restaurants and private homes in Denmark as well as throughout the world.

Made in Denmark: J16, J16 stool, C18

Made in the EU: J39


Since its foundation in 1911, the family-owned company Fredericia has built up a strong tradition of beautiful craftsmanship and innovative design, developed in close collaboration with a carefully chosen circle of internationally recognised designers.