Small space living requires smart design solutions. This is one of the usual cases in large cities, but still, living in a small home used to be synonymous with only a small part of the population. Today, after several years of recession, there is a growing trend of searching for smaller homes. They are easier to maintain and pay for. And this trend is expected to influence furniture design – more multifunctional and flexible furniture and space-saving innovations in the home will be in demand. As a result a lot of furniture and appliances companies offer storage solutions and efficiency appliances suited to this way of living.
But clever planning and interior design can also help you maximize your space and have a comfortable and cozy home. And space cannot be a limit for style – just the opposite: style can make you feel better even in the smallest living space! There are plenty of design solutions which can help you maximise space without sacrificing colour and style.
One thing is for sure when you live in a small space - you've got to be tidy. So planning a place for everything is of great importance. Some useful advice:
-use every bit of space, make the most of the height and mount storage way up to the ceiling;
- choose mobile and multipurpose pieces;
- a good solution is built in furniture;
- use light colors for walls and large areas – they make space look wider. Another important color influence – warm colors reduce distance and seem to advance that is why they are better used as bold accents. Cool colors make walls recede and visually increase space. A monochromatic color scheme will also make the place seem bigger. But for any space to feel good it is important to select colors that look great together;
- install floor-to-ceiling curtains – they provide luxury, softness and color;
- use gloss paints – they reflect light and create spacious feeling. Mirrors or any reflective surfaces also give the illusion of added space;
- suitable pieces of art or hand-made items always make any space more cozy and individually styled, make it your own;
- whenever possible, use transparent materials – they always seem to dissolve in space and visually enlarge it;
- allow a lot of light - whether natural or artificial, light has the effect of opening up space.
- clever use of pattern – if you want a bold feature wall, for example, use a wallpaper that gives the illusion of space;
- multipurpose spaces – I once saw a bathroom tub in a Paris small apartment to be used as a large table for entertaining guests – by just covering it with a large old door and an elegant tablecloth on it! But for this you have to design it in the middle of the bathroom so that you can arrange chairs around it.
Smart design solutions can turn a small apartment in the most comfortable and elegant living space!